At the heart of the Nikon A1 hybrid confocal scan head is the dual scanning system that encompass a standard-speed scanner and a high-speed resonant scanner. They may be used individually or simultaneously. Applications include:
- For the standard speed scanner: imaging of all fixed specimens and many live specimens, including FRET and ion ratio imaging (e.g.: calcium, pH);
- High speed resonant scanner: Maximum frame rate can exceed 400 frames per second.
- Simultaneous use of standard and resonant scanners: Useful for FRAP and photoactivation specimens that require stimulating with one scanner while simultaneously imaging with the other.
- Three Detector Ports are Standard
- Standard Detector. Two high sensitivity GaAsP detectors and standard filter-based detectors allows simultaneous or sequential detection of up to four channels of fluorescence.
- Spectral Detector. With the 32-channel spectral detector, up to eight individual overlapping fluorophores can be unmixed simultaneously and acquired at a maximum frame rate of 16 frames per second.
- A transmitted light detector allows simultaneous capture of a DIC image while capturing confocal fluorescence images.
- Mytex polygon DMD allows for simultaneous optogenetic stimulation.
- 405nm diode laser, 561nm diode-pumped-solid-state (DPSS) laser, and a 638nm diode laser.
- An argon-ion gas laser is the fourth laser. It produces four lines: 457nm, 477nm, 488nm, and 514nm line.
- Nikon Perfect Focus System (PFS) is the solution to keep cells in focus over prolonged time-lapse imaging sessions. Pick the focal plane and PFS monitors the focus every 5ms to maintain focus indefinitely.
- Accessories: Motorized XY Stage and Piezo Z stage for rapid sectioning.
- 4X, 10X, and 20X air objectives and 40X, 60X, and 100X oil objectives live on stand. 20X MM is available.
- Stage top incubator for temperature, humidity, and CO2 atmospheric control.
Best Application/s: Samples up to several hundred microns thick (sample dependent). Live or fixed (temp. and CO2 available). Low magnification high resolution imaging (as well as high magnification high resolution). CFP/YFP fluorophores. FRAP/PA/PC capabilities.